Table of Contents
- Acquiring a motor sports competition license issued by JAF
- Renewing a JAF competition license
- Participating in JAF sanctioned events held in Japan
- Sporting calendar for JAF sanctioned events in Japan (Japanese only)
Those participating in JAF sanctioned events in Japan with a competition license from an ASN other than JAF
- Foreign license-holders who intend to participate in a JAF sanctioned event of national status
- Participating in events held overseas
Application for certificate permit for participation in overseas competitions
Acquiring a motor sports competition license issued by JAF
JAF is the governing body of auto motor sports in Japan and, as a member of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), works to promote motor sports. In Japan, JAF issues licenses for participation in auto motor sports.
In order to acquire a “Domestic B License” enabling the holder to participate in speed competitions (gymkhana, dirt trials, etc.), rallies and other events, the applicant must, in principle, attend a B license class consisting of a lecture about two hours in duration, and then apply with JAF for issuance in line with the instructions given in the class.
＜Conditions for acquiring license＞
- 18 years of age or older
- Has a drivers’ license that enables the holder to drive a car on ordinary roads in Japan
- Individual member of JAF
Those with a nationality other than Japanese can also obtain a motor sports competition license from JAF. However, under the FIA International Sporting Code, a license from ASN*1 in two countries or more cannot be granted in the same year, the applicant must submit the following documentation to JAF.
- (1)a document*2 issued by his/her Parent ASN stating that he/she has not received a license from it
- (2)a certificate of his/her operating base in Japan issued by his/her team holding a JAF Competitor’s License, or issued by a JAF-registered club or a body, or a copy of his/her Residence Card
*1 ASN is the acronym for Autorité Sportive Nationale. This organization governs auto motor sports in each country certified by FIA.
*2 Please inquire of the respective ASN of your home country regarding the necessary procedures for applying for a certificate issued by it.
Renewing a JAF competition license
JAF competition licenses must be renewed by the holder him/herself once a year. The license can be updated from November 1 of the year in which the license is valid to December 31 of the following year, and can be done at the JAF Branch Office, and an on-line application is also available through following the procedures outlined on the “My Page” (Japanese only) section on the JAF website (this is limited to credit card payments; some licenses cannot be renewed from “My Page”). JAF individual membership must be valid to renew licenses, so we ask that you continue your membership when renewing licenses (the effective dates for licenses and the effective dates for JAF memberships are not necessarily the same).
Participating in JAF sanctioned events held in Japan
Please refer to JAF sanctioned events calendar and follow the entry procedures on the official site of the club hosting the event.
Sporting calendar for JAF sanctioned events in Japan (Japanese only)
- Speed competitions (Gymkhana, Dirt trial, etc.)
Those participating in JAF sanctioned events in Japan with a competition license issued by an ASN other than JAF
When participating in a competition in Japan with a competition license from an ASN other than JAF, an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” issued by the ASN in the country in which the license was issued is required under the FIA International Sporting Code. Please inquire of the relevant ASN regarding the issuance process. A medical certificate may be required depending on the status of the competition.
Foreign license-holders who intend to participate in a JAF sanctioned event of national status in Japan
In relation to Art.2.3.4 of the FIA International Sporting Code, the above mentioned foreign license-holders should observe the following terms and conditions.
Participating in events held overseas
For those holding a JAF competition license who want to participate in overseas events, an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” issued by JAF is required under the FIA International Sporting Code. A medical certificate* may be required, depending on the status of the competition.
Application for certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition
Those holding a driver’s license or competitor’s entrant license who enter a competition held in a country other than the country in which these licenses were issued must bring with them an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” verifying that the ASN to which the holder belongs (JAF in Japan’s case) authorize him/her to participate in the competition, under the FIA International Sporting Code Sport 2.3.8 or 3.9.4.
Those applying for an “certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” should download the application form(Japanese only) from the JAF website, print it on A4 size paper, fill out the necessary sections while using the example (Japanese only) as reference, and then bring it to the motor sports division at the nearest JAF regional headquarters with payment or send cash payment by registered mail at least two weeks before departure abroad.
Please note the telephone number at which you can be reached during the day on the contact information in the application. The certificate will be issued in about 10 days, so please be sure to apply two weeks before departure to leave plenty of time in the event of unforeseen postal problems.
＜Documents to be submitted＞
- 1.Application for certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition (Japanese only) Download Example
- 2. One photograph of face (3cmx3cm)
- 3. Application fee (per application)
- (1)Single-time use 8,400 yen（including consumption tax）
- (2)Multiple use 24,500 yen（including consumption tax）
・ A multiple use certificate can be used multiple times, and there is no limit on the number of events that can be entered in a year.
・When applying for a multiple use certificate, be sure to attach a list of competitions that you plan to enter.
・In the event that the qualifying and final competitions are listed separately on the FIA International Sporting Calendar, please submit two copies of the application and photograph of face (the application fee only has to be paid once). （Example: Le Mans 24-hour race）
A medical examination card is required when participating in a competition of international status. This card is valid from the issuance date until December 31 of that year. There is no issuance cost, but the applicant may be asked to pay for the postage.
- 1.Those wishing to have a medical certificate issued should request the JAF Motor Sports Dept. to send a Medical Aptitude (Medical Form) Form (blank Medical Form).
- 2.The applicant receives an examination from the doctor, based on the Medical Form template, and has the doctor fill in the results on the back of the Form.
- 3.The applicant sends the Medical Form with the results filled in to the JAF Motor Sports Dept., enclosing a stamp for the return postage.
・Breakdown of 404 yen stamp charge (84 yen for regular letter + 320 yen for letter sheet costs; when a team or other group sends applications together, up to four applications can be sent for the same fee)
- 4.The JAF Motor Sports Dept. will check the results of the examination on the back of the Form, and if the conditions are met, the medical certificate (health certificate, left of the Form) will be stamped with JAF’s authorizing seal and returned in about two weeks. If anything is unclear concerning the results, JAF may contact the applicant.
・The medical clinic providing the examination may charge a fee, so please inquire of the medical clinic.
・Those who are 46 years old or older must also receive a stress electrocardiogram, in addition to a regular electrocardiogram.
・Please note that doctors often miss the examinations related to the eyes (eyesight, field of view, binocular vision, color vision).
・The “Medical Form” is also known as the “Medical Card.”