Table of Contents
- Acquiring a motor sports competition license issued by JAF
- Renewing a JAF competition license
- Participating in JAF sanctioned events held in Japan
- Sporting calendar for JAF sanctioned events in Japan (Japanese only)
Those participating in JAF sanctioned events in Japan with a competition license from an ASN other than JAF
- Foreign license-holders who intend to participate in a JAF sanctioned event of national status
- Participating in events held overseas
Application for certificate permit for participation in overseas competitions
Acquiring a motor sports competition license issued by JAF
JAF is the governing body of auto motor sports in Japan and, as a member of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), works to promote motor sports. In Japan, JAF issues licenses for participation in auto motor sports.
In order to acquire a “Domestic B License” enabling the holder to participate in speed competitions (gymkhana, dirt trials, etc.), rallies and other events, the applicant must, in principle, attend a B license class consisting of a lecture about two hours in duration, and then apply with JAF for issuance in line with the instructions given in the class.
＜Conditions for acquiring license＞
- 18 years of age or older
- Has a drivers’ license that enables the holder to drive a car on ordinary roads in Japan
- Individual member of JAF
Those with a nationality other than Japanese can also obtain a motor sports competition license from JAF. However, under the FIA International Sporting Code, a license from ASN*1 in two countries or more cannot be granted in the same year, the applicant must submit the following documentation to JAF.
- (1)a document*2 issued by his/her Parent ASN stating that he/she has not received a license from it
- (2)a certificate of his/her operating base in Japan issued by his/her team holding a JAF Competitor’s License, or issued by a JAF-registered club or a body, or a copy of his/her Residence Card
*1 ASN is the acronym for Autorité Sportive Nationale. This organization governs auto motor sports in each country certified by FIA.
*2 Please inquire of the respective ASN of your home country regarding the necessary procedures for applying for a certificate issued by it.
Renewing a JAF competition license
JAF competition licenses must be renewed by the holder him/herself once a year. The license can be updated from November 1 of the year in which the license is valid to December 31 of the following year, and can be done at the JAF Branch Office, and an on-line application is also available through following the procedures outlined on the “My Page” (Japanese only) section on the JAF website (this is limited to credit card payments; some licenses cannot be renewed from “My Page”). JAF individual membership must be valid to renew licenses, so we ask that you continue your membership when renewing licenses (the effective dates for licenses and the effective dates for JAF memberships are not necessarily the same).
Participating in JAF sanctioned events held in Japan
Please refer to JAF sanctioned events calendar and follow the entry procedures on the official site of the club hosting the event.
Sporting calendar for JAF sanctioned events in Japan (Japanese only)
- Speed competitions (Gymkhana, Dirt trial, etc.)
Those participating in JAF sanctioned events in Japan with a competition license issued by an ASN other than JAF
When participating in a competition in Japan with a competition license from an ASN other than JAF, an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” issued by the ASN in the country in which the license was issued is required under the FIA International Sporting Code. Please inquire of the relevant ASN regarding the issuance process. A medical certificate may be required depending on the status of the competition.
Foreign license-holders who intend to participate in a JAF sanctioned event of national status in Japan
In relation to Art.2.3.4 of the FIA International Sporting Code, the above mentioned foreign license-holders should observe the following terms and conditions.
Participating in events held overseas
For those holding a JAF competition license who want to participate in overseas events, an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” issued by JAF is required under the FIA International Sporting Code. A medical certificate* may be required, depending on the status of the competition.
Application for certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition
Those holding a driver’s license or competitor’s entrant license who enter a competition held in a country other than the country in which these licenses were issued must bring with them an “Certificate (permit) for participation in overseas competition” verifying that the ASN to which the holder belongs (JAF in Japan’s case) authorize him/her to participate in the competition, under the FIA International Sporting Code Sport 2.3.8 or 3.9.4., though JAF changed it to display the contents on the license ticket from 2022. Therefore, it is no longer necessary to apply for the issuance of a certificate.
Medical form/ Medical certificate
In accordance with the appendix L of the International Sporting code, all international driver license holders who participate in international competitions must have an annual physical examination and to carry an aptitude certificate (medical certificate) issued by the ASN based on this examination with them,
In order to obtain this certificate (medical certificate), all holder of international driver license issued by JAF must complete a medical form and submit it to JAF for approval following these instructions.
Please note that it is not possible to participate in international competitions without a medical certificate.
- 1.Those who wish for medical certificate should download and print out the application form and medical form on A4 regular paper.
- 2.The applicant should filling in the required information in the box at the bottom right of the ANNUAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION, and have a medical examination by a doctor and have the results filled in by the doctor.
Note: Please present the instructions for the physician's entry [To each doctors conducting the medical examination] and [Entry instruction for the ANNUAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION] to the doctor.
- 3.The applicant should bring the completed the ANNUAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION with the diagnosis result, the application form and application fee to your nearest JAF office or send them by the currency registration.
- 4.JAF will confirm the diagnosis results of the ANNUAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION. If there are no problems, the medical certificate will be stamped with the JAF seal of approval will be returned to the address registered with JAF of the applicant for issuance by registered mail or letter-pack.
- The medical clinic providing the examination may charge a fee, so please inquire of the medical clinic.
- Those who are 60 years old or older must also receive a stress electrocardiogram, in addition to a regular electrocardiogram.
- Please note that doctors often miss the examinations related to the eyes (eyesight, field of view, binocular vision, color vision).
- The “Medical Form” is also known as the “Medical Card.
*If you wish to send it to another address, please indicate the details in the 'medical certificate’s mailing address’ section of the application form.