Emargency Measures


  • If your vehicle breaks down on the road, move it out of the way of other vehicles. If you have to park your broken-down vehicle on the road at night, you must turn on your emergency flashing hazard lights to warn other drivers that your vehicle is parked.
  • Leaving your broken-down vehicle on the road may cause a serious accident. Please call the JAF for the prompt removal of the vehicle from the road. The possibility of a vehicle colliding from behind makes staying with your broken-down vehicle very dangerous. After taking the necessary risk prevention methods, evacuate to a safe location such as outside the guardrail. Do not remain in the car.

JAF Road Service Telephone Number: 0570-00-8139; or Abbreviated Dialing Number: #8139

  • If you are a member of the JAF, you can use most of our road assistance services free of charge. The towing service for a broken-down vehicle is also free up to the first 20 km. JAF provides road assistance services throughout Japan 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year. We recommend that you join the JAF for your security in an emergency. For details, please contact a JAF Regional Office.
  • If you are a member of certain overseas automobile clubs, you may also be able to receive similar road services in Japan. For details, please contact a JAF Regional Office.

Medical Assistance (for injuries and sickness): 119 / Police (for accidents and other incidents): 110

  • If you are involved in a traffic accident, first move your vehicle to a safe place out of the way of other traffic, and turn off the engine, to prevent the occurrence of secondary accidents.
  • If anyone is injured, call 119 first and give whatever first aid you can to the injured person until an ambulance arrives.
  • You must call the police (110) without fail and report the accident, providing information about the location of the accident, number of injured persons (if any), and degree of damage, and follow the police officer’s instructions.
  • If you cannot call the police or an ambulance for yourself, ask someone around you to do so. If you leave the scene of an accident, you might be deemed to have committed a hit-and-run offence.
  • You may insure against automobile accidents to reduce the financial burden in the event of an accident. There are two types of automobile insurance:

Compulsory automobile liability insurance

This type of insurance policy must be taken out at the time when a vehicle is purchased, or when a vehicle undergoes a safety inspection. This insurance covers the minimum amount of damages to be paid to the victims of automobile accidents and their families.

Voluntary insurance

You can also take out a voluntary insurance policy, which provides more cover than the compulsory automobile liability insurance. We strongly recommend you to take out this type of additional automobile insurance to cover yourself in the event of a serious accident.