Online Application for Japanese Translation
[Notice regarding online acceptance of translation]
From November 7th, the web application service has been launched using the “Driver’s License Translation Application Site”.
*This system cannot be accessed from overseas, so please apply from within Japan.
*Payment method is credit card only.(Use of debit cards or prepaid card is unable.)
*This service is also available to non-JAF members.
For those applying for a translation of their driver's license.
Types of translations JAF can offer
- 1.Japanese translation of foreign driver's license (hereafter Japanese translation).
Japanese translations can be used for the following purposes.
- 1)To drive temporarily with a driver's license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, or Taiwan when the license is carried with a Japanese translation.
- 2)To switch a driver's license issued in countries other than those listed above, to a Japanese driver's license.
- 2.Chinese translation of a Japanese driver's license (hereafter Chinese translation).
Carry a Chinese translation with the original Japanese driver's license to temporarily drive in Taiwan.
*Please refer to the following pages for details regarding each translation.
(1) Japanese translation of foreign driver's licenses issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, or Taiwan
For those driving in Japan with a foreign driver's license
If you have a driver's license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, or Taiwan, you can drive a vehicle in accordance with the Japanese laws and regulations by carrying a Japanese translation with the original license.
(2) Japanese translation of foreign driver's licenses issued in countries other than (1).
For those who wish to switch their foreign driver's license to a Japanese license
A Japanese translation of your driver's license is required for the license switch procedure.
(3) Chinese translation of Japanese driver's license.
Chinese Translation of Japanese Driver's License for Use in Taiwan (*Japanese)
By carrying a Chinese translation of your Japanese driver's license together with your original license, you can drive a vehicle in Taiwan in accordance with the laws and regulations of Taiwan (Republic of China).
How to apply for Japanese translation
How to apply for Japanese translation
You can apply for Translations of various licenses online using the " Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site". Please check the application conditions, required documents, fees, receipt method, etc. on this page. In addition, please press the "Start online application" button at the bottom of the page to proceed to the application procedure.
If it is difficult for you to apply online
If you do not have a credit card, please refer to "Other translations".
Various information about online translation application
Documents required for translation application
- 1.Image data of the front and back of a current valid foreign driver's license.
*JAF may not be able to translate the following types of driver's licenses.
- 1)Licenses with handwritten sections that are illegible (e.g. the upper left part of the back side of a German driver's license).
- 2)Paper driver's licenses in particular, with illegible stamps or stamps overlapping the folds of the license, making them illegible (e.g. French driver's license).
- 2.Image data of documents required for the country of issuance.
*Only necessary when specially requested by JAF.
- 1.Image data of the front and back of a current valid foreign driver's license
*For licenses issued in countries listed in 1) and 2) below, documents that supplement the information on the license are required.
- 1)People's Republic of China: images of the front and back of the subpage.
- 2)Republic of the Philippines: image of the official receipt.
- 2.Image data of documents required for the country of issuance.
*Needed only for 1) ~ 3) but please note that required documents differ depending on the country.
- 1)Syrian Arab Republic: passport
- 2)Republic of Korea, Kingdom of Thailand, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Republic of the Union of Myanmar: residence card or copy of certificate of residence in Japan.
- 3)Countries other than those in 1) and 2) above with driver's licenses written in Arabic or Russian: residence card or copy of certificate of residence in Japan.
Image data of the front and back of a current valid Japanese driver's license.
*JAF may not be able to translate dates that are partially illegible, such as expiry dates or date of birth.
Translation fees and number of days required for issuance
Translation fees and amount of time required for translations to be issued are as follows.
|Type of translation||Issuing country of driver's license||Issuance fee*2||Number of days required*3|
|Japanese translation||Driver's licenses issues in all countries*1||¥4,000||Approximately two weeks*4|
|Chinese translation||Japanese driver's license only||¥4,400|
- 1 Required documents differ depending on the country the driver's license was issued in. Please see Documents Required for Translation and Application for Japanese Translation of a Foreign Driver's License, above.
- 2 Printing at a convenience store requires a prescribed printing fee (20 yen per page) prescribed by the Net Print Service.Please note that depending on the driver's license you have, an "attachment" may be printed in addition to the translation itself.
- 3 The translation will be prepared on JAF business days so depending on the date of application, it may take time to issue.
- 4 The number of days required will be different, depending on the circumstances and/or the type of driver's license, so please allow plenty of time when you make your application. Please contact the JAF inquiry desk here for details.
How to print at a convenience store
If you apply from Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site, you can print the translation at 7-Eleven stores using the "netprint® External Integration" . Please see "How to use the multi-function copiers at convenience stores" below for how to use it.
How to use the 7-Eleven Multi-Copy Machine
Image of application
How to get a receipt
You can issue receipts from the "Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page" when JAF's translation work is completed and it becomes possible to receive the translation.
It can be issued from "Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page". Please see the Q&A for more information on receipts.
- To apply for Gaimen Kirikae, the following two conditions must be met.
- 1.The foreign driver's license must be valid (expired licenses cannot be switched).
- 2.The applicant must be able to prove that he or she stayed in the issuing country for at least three months in total after obtaining the license.
- JAF does not offer translations for International Driving Permits.
- The effective period of the Japanese Translation is the same as that of the original license that was translated.
- When the license is renewed or if any changes (such as change of address) are made, a new translation must be acquired.
- Depending on the driver's license, JAF may not be able to offer a translation.
- Only applications from web access within Japan will be accepted.
- Only credit card payment is accepted online applications.
- Using debit cards or prepaid cards, as you may not be able to successfully complete the transaction.
- For more details about JAF's translations, please refer to the page explaining each type of translation.
- Please be sure to read the following information and check all of the precautions before submitting your application.
- QWhat should I do, if I don't have a credit card or internet access?
- AWe also accept applications for translations by cash registered mail. Please see this site for details.
- QHow much is the fee for having a translated document issued?
- AA Japanese translation is 4,000 yen and a Chinese translation is 4,400 yen. The printing fee at convenience stores is 20 yen per sheet (black and white print). For licenses issued in countries where a separate sheet other than the translation is needed, it will be 40 yen in total.
- QHow do I make a print out at 7-Eleven?
- APlease see here.
- QWhich credit cards are accepted for payment?
- AWe accept VISA, Mastercard, JCB, American Express, and Diners Club.
- QMy credit card payment resulted in a payment error.
- APlease check the expiration date and credit limit of your card.
- QCan I pay in installments?
- AWe only accept lump sum payment. Thank you for understanding.
- QWhen will my credit card be charged?
- AYour card will be charged when the translated text is available for printing at a convenience store. In the case of multiple applications by a representative, charge will be made when all of the applications submitted together are ready to be printed.
- QHow are refunds made?
- AIt may vary depending on your credit card company. Please see here for details.
- QWhat should I do, if I want to apply for several people at once?
- ASelect the entry for representatives applying for multiple drivers at the top of the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site and enter the information there. The number of applications should be limited to 30.
- QPlease tell me what I need. Do I need any documents other than my driver's license?
- AAll applications for translations require the following.
1. Image data of the front and back of your driver’s license.
2. Translation fee.
Other documents may be required depending on your country. Please see here for details.
- QCan I apply in person?
- AApplications may be submitted online or by regular mail, but if you need assistance at the counter in person, you can also make an appointment in advance at a JAF branch office. Find contact information for each branch here.
- QCan someone (a representative) apply for me?
- AWe also accept applications from representatives. Click the selection for applying by proxy on the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site.
- QWhere do I register my email?
- APlease start by clicking the start button for application.
- QI have not received a verification email.
- APlease make sure that your registered email address is correct. Please also make sure that your email account is set to accept emails from jafnavi.jp.
- QHow long does it take to receive/be able to print the translation?
- A"It usually takes about one- to two weeks from application to delivery/printing. For licenses written in Arabic or Russian, and licenses issued in countries such as the Republic of Korea, the Kingdom of Thailand, and the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, we ask you to wait about two- to three weeks.
Depending on the type of license, it may take more time to investigate, so please apply well in advance.
- QCan you issue the translation on the same day?
- AWe do not offer same-day issuance.
- QWhich convenience stores can I print out at?
- AYou can make printouts at 7-Eleven stores across Japan. *Excluding some stores.
- QMy convenience store printout failed.
- APlease contact us using the correspondence box at the bottom of My Page on the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site. You can also contact us here.
- QI want to make a printout at a convenience store other than 7-Eleven.
- AThis convenience store printout service is only available at 7-Eleven stores. If there is no 7-Eleven store near you, we will send you the translation by regular mail. Please contact us using the correspondence box at the bottom of your My Page on the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site or here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- QI would like to know more details about procedures for switching my license.
- APlease contact the license center that has jurisdiction over your address for information on how to switch your driver’s license. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- QWhat does "specific country" mean?
- AIf you have a driver’s license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, or Taiwan, you can drive a vehicle in Japan in accordance with Japanese laws and regulations by carrying a Japanese translation with your original license. For more information, please see here.
- QCan I have my international driving permit translated?
- AJAF does not offer translations of International Driving Permits.
- QIs there an expiration date for the translation? How long is it valid?
- AThe translation itself does not have an expiration date. However, it will become invalid when 1) the driver’s license translated expires, or 2) the license has been renewed or there is a change in the information on the driver’s license that was translated.
- QI did not reside in the country (or region) where my driver's license was issued, for more than a total of three months after it was issued.
- APlease first confirm with the license center to see if your license is transferrable.
- QI would like to cancel my application for translation. What should I do?
- AYou can cancel your application on your My Page of the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site as long as it is before JAF has started preparing the translation. You can check the issurance status of your translation by going to the request for issuance status on the site.
- QI found an error in the translation. What should I do?
- APlease contact us through the correspondence box at the bottom of your My Page on the Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site or here. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- QI mistakenly ordered Rules of the Road with the translation. May I cancel the copy of Rules of the Road separately?
- ASeparate orders cannot be cancelled. Please cancel the entire application from your My Page within the cancellation period. After that, please contact us through the communication box or here.
- QWhat language should I enter my name in?
- APlease enter your name as it appears on your driver’s license. For driver’s license in languages other than those written mainly in the Latin alphabet such as Arabic, Korean, Thai, Burmese, and Russian, please use Japanese characters or the English alphabet to enter your name..
- QWhat should I do, if I have serval hotels that I am staying at, when I register my address?
- APlease register the address of the hotel where you will be staying on the date you plan to receive the translation (usually 1-2 weeks after application), as this will be the delivery address. If it is difficult for you to receive the translation yourself, please register the address of a proxy.
- QI don't know where my driver's license number is written.
- AThe license number is usually written with a notation such as “license no.” or “registration no.”. Please be assured that our staff will make a final check when we prepare the translation for you.
- QI would like to order 10 or more of Rules of the Road.
- APlease contact us here.
- QI would like to apply for another translation for my next visit to Japan. May I use the same account again?
- AYour account information will be deleted when a certain period of time has passed after your translation is issued. If you wish to apply for a new translation, you will need to create a new account.
For more information, please contact us here.
- QWhere is the correspondence section?
- AYou can find your Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page communication box by starting at the TOP page → Login → check issuance status → select application information → it’s at the bottom of the screen.
- QI want to change my registration information.
- AYou can return to the previous page by clicking the “back” button if you haven’t gone past the content confirmation page. After you have completed application, please send us a message through the communication box on your My Page saying that you would like to modify your contents.
- QI would like to apply for a Chinese translation, not a Japanese translation, but I cannot change the selection of type of translation.
- AClick the JAF logo in the upper left-hand corner of the application site to return to the first page and login to the Chinese translation page to make your application.
- QHow do I get a receipt?
- AWhen it becomes possible to receive the translation, you can issue it by specifying the address yourself from the bottom of the "Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page".
Please note that the receipt will only be issued once, so if you wish to change the address after it has been issued, please contact us in the "Communication column" on My Page or contact the JAF branch office.
- QCan I check my application history?
- AYou can check it on your Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page if it has not been one year since the date of issue, but please be careful because your account information will be lost if you do not log in for one month.
- QI would like to know the contact information for the JAF translation office.
- AJAF translation service contact information is here.
You can also send a message to the staff member in charge of your translation through your Foreign Driver’s License Translation Application Site My Page communication box.
- QI am not able to register the image data of my driver's license.
- APlease check your image data storage format. Only JPEG format can be used on the Translation Application Site.
- QI am not able to register the image data taken with my iPhone.
- ATo save a photo using JPEG format on iPhone, open Settings, then select Camera → Format → Most Compatible before taking a photo.